Have you started your online tax refund application? Remember No Refund No Fee!

Start your online tax refund application today and find out if you’re owed tax back!


If you do not find the answers to your questions below, please email one of our tax specialists

Q. When can I claim?

A: Either at the end of the financial year (April 5th), or when you have finished work and won’t be working again in that financial year.

Q. Do I get all of my tax back?

A: If you have earned less than £12570 in the 2020/21 financial year then you will receive a full tax refund of tax paid. If you have earned over your tax-free allowance, then calculate your refund on our homepage or contact one of our agents.

Q. If I make a claim midway through the tax year, do I have to wait until the end of the tax year to receive my rebate?

A: No. You can claim at any time of the year and expect to receive your refund within 3 to 4 weeks.

Q. How far back can I claim and are there any late lodgement penalties?

A: The government have recently changed the law on this. You used to be able to claim back as far as 6 years, now it is 4!! As most people are not required to make statutory returns, there are no late lodgement penalties.

Q. Can we take over your rebate if it has been sent to HMRC and they are taking a long time?

A: Yes we can, just contact a consultant today and they will tell you what we can do for you.

Q. What is the correct tax code?

A. The standard tax code for 2022-23 is 1257L

Q. How do I know if I am paying emergency tax?

A: If there is a suffix or prefix on your code then you have an emergency code. The most common are; W1, M1, BR, X, WK1, MTN1.

Q. Under what circumstances would I be most likely to get a tax refund?

A: There is more chance of receiving a tax refund if you are on the wrong tax code, paying emergency tax, have not worked the full tax year OR worked in the construction industry on a CIS basis.

Q. Do I need a National Insurance number to make a claim?

A: Yes, if you are still here in the UK call the National Insurance helpline on 0845-915-7006 to register. If you have left already we will apply for a temporary one as part of the service.

Q. Can I reclaim my National Insurance contributions?

A: Not any more. The government changed the rules in 2011 so unfortunately you can no longer make a claim.

Q. I work on a CIS basis in the construction industry. Can I claim tax back?

A: most certainly. On a CIS basis you are taxed at a very high rate (20%) and allocated no free tax allowances. You can also claim extensively for any work related expenses such as; Accountant fees, Travel, Telephone, Tools, Clothing, etc.

Q. What’s the difference between a P60, P45 and a CIS?

A: A P60 is a statement of income and Tax to the end of the Tax Year. You will receive a P60 from your employer in April. A P45 is your Group Certificate received when you finish employment. A CIS is a unique Tax Form solely used in the construction industry

Q. Why Taxback?

A: With over 27 years experience and 1,000,000 satisfied clients we are market leaders in our field. Our aim is to secure you the maximum return in the shortest period of time. We offer the most competitive rate and superior service.

Q. If I am not a UK citizen, does that mean I can get all my tax back?

A: Yes, only if you have earned less than the personal allowance figure. If you have earned over that amount, you may still get a tax refund, just not ALL your taxes. Complete the online application now to see if you are owed any money!

Q. Can I only claim for one job if the others were only part time?

A: No you have to declare your entire earnings even if you only work a part time position. All income must be declared to the Inland Revenue.

Q. Can I claim for just one tax year if that’s all I want to claim?

A: No, you have to claim for your entire work history.

Q. What official documents are required by the Inland Revenue?

A: You will need to make a signed declaration of various facts but will not be asked to produce a Passport or provide Work Permit details.

Q. I won’t get my P45 from my last job until I have left the country can I still lodge my return?

A: Yes we can lodge the claim with the tax office and then forward them the P45 once we receive it.

Q. Can I lodge a tax claim on my friend’s behalf?

A: No you would not be able to sign the forms on their behalf. You can always collect the forms or we would be pleased to post them.

Q. How much money will I get back?

A: We can only calculate this once we have the information from all your employers.

Q. Do I have to do a tax return?

A: Most people are not required to lodge a return, but it’s always worth checking if you are due a refund.

Below is a list of employments that would require a tax return.

Directors of Ltd companies
Construction industry workers on CIS vouchers
High-income earners (40% & 50% tax brackets)

Get Help