Claiming Back Tax from Australia

Claiming Back Tax from Australia

Have you been working in Australia full time or part time?

Whether you were living and working as a holidaymaker or a backpacker, you may be entitled to a tax refund, especially if you overpaid tax or did not apply for your tax back for the past few or couple of years. Claim back tax from Australia now

What criteria make you eligible for a tax back?

417 and 462 Visas

Both visas allow foreigners to enjoy working holiday Australia. Except for a few differences, it basically serves the same purpose. Whichever visa you hold, the fact that you pay taxes makes you eligible for a refund, especially if you meet other requirements.

Length of stay

To be able to apply for your tax back, you need to stay and work in Australia for at least six months. During these times, you must have your Tax File Number, normally given to you by your employer within the first 30 days of employment, and a copy of your PAYG or final payslip. 

If you meet both criteria, along with your residency status for tax purposes, you will be able to claim a tax refund. Australia’s tax year runs from 1 July to 30 June the next year. Everyone is legally obliged to file a tax return at the end of every tax year, and that includes you. Once you leave the country, you are also eligible to claim back a superannuation refund. 

Not exactly sure if you are qualified for a tax back? Speak to a professional specialising in tax concerns related to working in Australia. If the average tax refund is $2600, imagine how much money you’ll get if you are compensated the maximum legal tax refund. Getting paid via PAYE – Find out if you’ve overpaid tax

Photo by Alice Duffield on Unsplash

Translate »