Tax Breakdown For UK Nurses

General Tax Guide For Nurses Working In The UK


Regardless of the industry that you are in, you will need to pay tax in the UK if you have been working in the country for any length of time. April 6th is the start of the tax year, and if you have started employment on or within this period, you earnings will be taxed in one of two ways -PAYEor managed companies.

As a nurse working in the healthcare sector, you will have to pay tax for certain services and National Insurance on your income. If you work in the UK for 5 years or more, you will also have to pay to benefit from astate pension. How much you pay on all these depends on the amount of your earnings and your employment type, whether you work for someone (Strand Nurses Bureau), or you are Self Employed.

Strand Nurse Bureau

You are considered employed for the purpose of tax and National Insurance if you work for Strand Nurses Bureau. Payments for both are directly deducted from your wages and then paid to the Inland Revenue. You will then receive a P60 End of Year Certificate at the end of each tax year, April 5th in particular. This will outline your total pay, tax and National Insurance for the tax year.

Self Employed

You are considered self-employed for tax purposes, if you work with private clients as a UK Registered Nurse. Since you are not connected with the Strand Nurses Bureau, you are solely responsible for paying the tax and National Insurance at the end of each tax year. Make sure to complete atax assessment formevery time.

Along with tax payment is your eligibility for a tax back. According to a survey by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC), more than 75% of nurses and midwives do not claim tax relief on their annual registration fees alone. Considering that this is for your own good, you should claim tax relief. As a nurse working in the UK, you are eligible for tax back on several subscriptions, including the following:

Association of British Paediatric Nurses (ABPN)

  • Association of Occupational Health Nurse Practitioners (AOHP)
  • Association of Radical Midwives (ARM)
  • Neonatal Nurses Association (NNA)
  • Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
  • Royal College of Midwives (RCM)
  • Royal College of Nursing (RCN)
  • UK MS Specialist Nurses Association (UKMSSNA)
  • Unison

In addition, you can claim tax relief from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) towards the cost of shoes, tights, and having your uniforms laundered. Suffice to say that there are other things you can claim tax back from. In fact, tax relief that paying nurses can enjoy can amount to £177 for one tax year alone. If you missed out on making a claim from the previous year, you could be looking at a substantialtax back.

Making a claim, however, is no walk in the park, which is why it makes sense to seek professional help. This is especially true if you have several subscriptions. In claiming tax relief fromRCN membership fees, for example, there are deadlines you need to meet, so you can claim from HMRC. Time limits are also imposed when you are allowed to make a backdated tax relief claim.

The amount you get back from your RCN membership fees also depends on several factors, such as your tax situation and the cost of your annual fees. Generally, UK tax payerscan enjoy up to 20% of tax relief.

To avoid any confusion or missed deadlines, partner with experts on Taxback.


Photo by Bermix Studio on Unsplash

Translate »