Tax Tips For Electricians in the UK

tax tips for electricians in the UK


When it comes to tax concerns, most ordinary individuals are none the wiser. Unless you take the time to study everything tax-related, that is. But as a self-employed electrician, you may want to focus more on your job and less on tax concerns.

But because tax is unavoidable, it helps to know the basics.

Tax Tips for Electricians in the UK

  1. Register with HMRC

Before you can file a tax return, you must register online with HMRC as self-employed. There are two forms to choose from:

  • CWF1 for newly self-employed and have sent a return before
  • SA1 if you just became a Buy to Let Landlord

If you’ve never sent a return before, HMRC offers another online registration option. You can also fill out an on-screen form, print it off, and then post to the tax agency.

  1. Wait for confirmation, UTR

However you choose to register, HMRC will send a confirmation, along with your 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) that you will have to use when making payments or for any correspondence to HMRC.

  1. Familiarise the basics of self employed electricians tax return

  • UK tax year starts and ends on 6 April and 5 April of the following year, respectively.
  • UK electricians Tax Return should outline all taxable income and gains, regardless if it’s taxed at source. The taxed amount at source will be deducted by HMRC before your tax bill arrives.
  • 31 October following the end of the tax year is the deadline for submitting returns on paper.
  • 31 January following the end of the tax year is the deadline for submitting returns online.
  • 31 January following the end of the tax year is when any tax owed must be paid. This can be done through online banking, Direct Debit, and any other acceptable option.
  1. Understand your tax rights as a CIS subcontractor

If you made CIS tax payments because you’re a subcontractor, deductions may be credited after you completed your Tax Return. As a CIS subcontractor, 20% or 30% tax may be deducted from your gross payment, depending if you have a UTR or not. Once the amount has been credited, you may be entitled to a tax refund.

  1. Claim any eligible business expenses

You can claim tax rebates for business expenses, such as any materials you bought for use for work, replacement tools, the cost of equipment repair and maintenance, protective clothing, bills paid on telephone landline, mobile phone or the internet for business use.

Make sure to file your return on time to avoid the £100 fine that is automatically imposed. You should also keep all tax-related records and documents for a period of six years in case HMRC would want to review them.

To avoid confusion about UK electricians Tax, seek expert advice and assistance with one of our tax agents at or apply to find out if you’ve overpaid tax and are due a tax refund here 

The best trade recruitment agencies in the UK 

Where a uniform to work? You can claim it back 



Translate »