Tax Tips For Australian Backpackers In The UK

Every year thousands of Australian backpackers flock to the UK for a working holiday in one of the world’s most amazing capital cities. If you’re one of the many working holidaymakers that are temporarily living and working in the UK, make sure you keep an eye on what you’re being taxed, as you could be owed some tax back.

It is possible that you may be paying more tax than you should be. One of the reasons for this is that your employment didn’t go on for the entirety of the UK tax year. The dates for the UK tax year are 6th April – 5th April the following year. 

Another complication that leads to unfair taxation is usually working holidaymakers who work more than one job. 

Another factor could be your employer using the incorrect PAYE code that doesn’t fit with your particular situation.

Another top tip for working holidaymakers looking to save their pennies is to keep hold of those receipts and bank statements to prove what you have spent on work-related necessities. You can claim expenses on a variety of things from tools and equipment to phone/internet bills and even travel – of course, ask your work what and what isn’t included first. Bear in mind that your expenses must also not be for personal use – professional only people!

You can apply for tax back from four previous tax years, so you can still make a claim for the tax year. You can use a tax back company like to apply for your tax back on your behalf, looking after your application from start to finish until you get what you’re owed!

If you’ve been working temporarily in the UK, contact us now to see if you’re owed a tax refund!

Translate »