Tax Advice For Foreign Contruction Workers In The UK

Tax Advice For Foreign Contruction Workers In The UK

How your tax is treated as a foreign worker in the UK construction industry depends on whether or not the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) applies to you.

If your income tax and National Insurance contributions are deducted through the PAYE system, then CIS is not applicable in your situation, which is actually a more convenient choice. Because under CIS, you must follow specific rules in paying subcontractors and to make monthly returns. You are obliged to make a 20% deduction from your invoices  and report it to HM Revenue & Customs.

But not all contractors and subcontractors are under CIS. Architects, surveyors and carpet fitters do not count.

As a construction worker in the UK you will pay tax on essential tools and equipment used for work, protective workwear, uniform, travel expenses incurred from work-related trips, and accommodation cost if you take a job away from where you live, and you paid for your room out of your own pocket.

The good news is you can claim back tax on all these expenses, provided that you have a record of all transactions. This is especially true for travel expenses incurred while using your own vehicle for work, because you must prove that the cost of the trip is work-related.

Due to the complexity of the tax treatment of foreign construction workers in the UK, It is best to refer to tax experts during the course of your tenure and before you leave the  UK, when you may need to file a tax claim.

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back.

Translate »