Tips For Filling Out Your Paper Tax Return

Filing Your Paper Return

If you’re self-employed in the UK then are required to complete a tax return. We all know tax returns can be incredibly confusing, so here are a few tips for filling out your paper tax return before the deadline.

Related Articles: 

Self Assessment Tax Returns

What you need to know about self assessment tax returns

Tips For Filling Out Paper Returns

  • Check that you have all the pages you need for a paper return.
  • Update your records for each type of income or gain. This is best done throughout the year.
  • Log all your business outgoings such as travel costs, uniform, tools or equipment, business phone bills etc.
  • Only fill in sections of the form that are relevant to you.
  • Don’t forget to sign the return before sending it to HMRC.
  • Pay your tax dues

self assessment tax returns

When to file a tax return?

For the tax year 2016 to 2017, paper return must be submitted by midnight 31st October 2017. If you’ve decided to complete your tax return online for the same tax year then you have until midnight 31st January 2018.

Where to get tax return forms?

For paper returns, you can download the form and additional pages from GOV.UK. Additional Pages would be anything that HMRC will add to the 8 pages you need to complete to report a particular kind of gains or incomes.

For online returns, you will be asked to choose the sections you need to complete, so they will be created for your consumption.

Most of the time, HMRC will send you a “notice to file a tax return” complete with the forms. Otherwise, you need to download them online.

If your tax affairs are pretty straightforward, HMRC will issue a ‘short tax return’ with only four pages that need to be filled out. If you were mistakenly sent a short tax return, then you must ask HMRC for an 8-page full return instead.

Don’t forget the deadline for paper tax returns is coming up, so don’t panic at the last minute and start adding up your expenses now!

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back.

Translate »