Tax Refunds For Student Summer Jobs

Tax Refunds For Student Summer Jobs

Taking a summer job? Keep an eye on your income.

As the summer draws to an end, you might want to take a look at those payslips. Any income you receive during a summer job is taxable, so you are eligible for a tax refund, especially if you overpay tax. Your tax obligation, however, will vary depending on your particular circumstances.

Apply for a Student Tax Refund

UK students working locally

Anything else you earn over £958 a month on average, which is your Personal Allowance, will be taxed, which is automatically deducted by your employer through the PAYE system. If you stopped working part way through the tax year, you can claim a tax refund.

If you’re self-employed, HMRC will work out how much tax you need to pay based on the self-assessment tax return you must fill out, which will contain information about the details of your income and expenses.

UK resident working abroad

If you worked overseas during your summer break, you are responsible for paying tax on anything you earn above your Personal Allowance. View UK Tax Treaties.

Non-UK residents working in the UK

If you are a foreign resident working in the UK, you may be exempt from paying UK tax if your country of residence has a double taxation agreement with the UK. Otherwise, your tax treatment will be the same as everyone else who lives and works in the UK.

You can claim tax online if you have all the details of benefits and income that have been taxed, and your employer’s PAYE reference number. You can also call or write to HMRC to explain why you thing you’ve overpaid tax. Be ready with your National Insurance number, form P45 and your job details.

Understanding PAYE

Claim a PAYE Tax Refund

Student Tax Refunds 

A simpler option would be to seek professional help from our tax experts at

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back.


Photo by Soundtrap on Unsplash

Translate »