What is PAYE Tax?

What is PAYE Tax

Are you wondering how to make sense of your payslip each month? You may see chunks of your money being zapped by NI and tax, but what is PAYE? We’ve made it easier to understand PAYE Tax and how it works with our comprehensive guide. Keep reading to find out how you can claim tax back via PAYE for a Pay Tax Rebate Online. 

What is PAYE Tax?

PAYE, or pay as you earn, is the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) system to deduct tax from:

  • Employed individuals, 
  • Pensioners receiving benefits from former employers,
  • Those with an annuity paid under a pension plan or a combination of pension and annuity
  • Individuals with income are liable for the tax. 

PAYE tax is collected by an employer and sent to the tax office weekly or monthly, depending on the agreed payment arrangement. The tax code given upon commencing employment determines how much tax an employee needs to pay. Before an employee receives their net income, any income tax is deducted from their wages or other income.

What Dates Does the UK Tax Year Run From?

The UK tax year runs from the 6th to the 5th of April the following year. The current tax year is 2022-23, and the new tax year 2022-24 will begin on the 6th of April 2023.

Why is It Essential to Understand PAYE Tax and Tax Returns?

The end of each tax year marks the time you need to work on your tax return. To avoid penalties, you must understand PAYE Tax and UK self-assessment tax. Having sound knowledge of other related information such as UK and PAYE Tax Returns will ensure that your hard-earned money is not being wasted on tax penalties or tax overpayments. It is essential to understand how PAYE Tax works as it can leave you with more money to save and spend. 

Utilising our PAYE Tax Refund Services is an efficient way to determine if you overpaid or underpaid your tax. Think you might be owed some tax back? Get in touch with us! You will not be charged if you are not owed a tax refund. 

Click here for our PAYE Tax Refund Application form.

What Are Tax Codes and Allowances?

The first step to understanding PAYE tax is to understand tax codes and allowances. HMRC will allocate a tax code for you that will tell your employer how much tax to deduct from your income and the amount you’re allowed to earn before tax is paid. An employee needs to get the correct PAYE tax code as it determines how much tax will be reduced from their earnings.

It is the tax office’s responsibility to inform your employer annually what your tax code is every time there is a change in your circumstances. When you are assigned the wrong tax code, that may result in underpaying or overpaying taxes.

How to Understand Your Tax Code

A tax code is always a combination of numbers and a letter, like 535L indicated on an employee’s payslip. The letter is most commonly an “L” which indicates that all is well with the world and you don’t really need to do anything (if the letter comes first, then the world will end- actually no, but you will be paying much more tax!!) It also replaces the last digit, so anything from 0 to 9. If the letter L is any other letter, such as a “T” or “H”, then HMRC will automatically be in touch every year to review your code. The digits indicate the base amount you are allowed to earn before paying tax. 

On the other hand, personal allowance is the amount you make tax-free. (Keep reading to find out more about personal allowances and income tax bands.)

If you multiply 535 by 10, your earnings before tax are £5,350. Anything you earn above this rate is taxable by 20%, 40%, or 45%.

Keep in mind that National Insurance contributions will also be deducted on top of PAYE Tax.

Why is a Payslip Important?

Your payslip is one of the most important documents in relation to your PAYE Tax as it contains vital details and information. The payslip given to you by your employer should include the following: 

  • Your gross income—wages before any deductions are made
  • Individual or the total amount of fixed deductions like trade union subscriptions
  • The individual amount of tax deductions and any other variable deductions
  • Your net income—the total amount after deductions
  • Amount of any part-payment wage and the method of payment, such as cash payment credited to a bank account

Your payslip may or may not contain your tax code, National Insurance number, pay rate, and additional payments. If your tax code does not appear on your payslip, be sure to ask your employer or HMRC about it. This way, you will know if the right amount of tax is deducted from your pay and whether or not you can claim the tax back.

PAYE Tax Return, Who Doesn’t Need a Payslip?

Even if you are working for a company or business in the UK, your employer is not obliged to provide you with a payslip if:

  • You work as a contractor, freelancer, or a worker but not necessarily an employee
  • You are in the police service or work as a merchant seaman
  • You are a share fishing master or crew member

What is a Personal Allowance?

Your tax-free personal allowance is the amount of tax that you can earn before income tax needs to be paid. The chancellor of the exchequer usually changes the amount in the budget each tax year when they set the annual budget. So, what you earn before taxes in the previous tax year may not be the same this year. Have a look at the below allowances and tax bands to get a clear idea on your taxable income. 

Personal Allowances

The Personal Allowance is the amount of income a person can get before they pay tax.

The Personal Allowance goes down by £1 for every £2 of income above the £100,000 limit. It can go down to zero.

Source: www.gov.uk

What Are the Income Tax Bands for Personal Allowance?

Source: www.gov.uk

How Much Tax Will Be Deducted From Your Earnings?

Now on to the most important question: How much tax will be deducted from your earnings?

This amount depends on the tax code provided by HMRC. The tax agency will issue a PAYE code to your employer, so they will know how much tax to take off your income. The same code will tell you how your tax code is worked out and be outlined in the PAYE coding notice (form P2). If you don’t understand or want to know more about your PAYE code, don’t hesitate to contact HMRC for more information. 

Why is Paying National Insurance (NI) Important?

Your National Insurance contributions (NICs) pay towards your state pension and any social security benefits you can take advantage of. Your pay depends on your income and is deducted through the PAYE system. The current NIC rate for most employees is 9%. National Insurance may also be imposed on company benefits, especially those paid in cash or those you can sell, such as a gift from your employer.

Overpaying or Underpaying Tax

Think you’re being overtaxed? You could be overpaying taxes through PAYE. Check your payslip and get in touch at www.taxback.co.uk to claim a PAYE Tax Refund. Our team of experienced and qualified professionals will help you get your money back in no time! 

Between the two, overpaying tax is better since you qualify for a tax refund. This can happen if:

  • You were given an emergency tax code when you started working
  • Your employer used the wrong tax code
  • You only worked for part of the year
  • You worked more than one job at the same time
  • You became self-employed, redundant, or you retired

Should any of the above have happened to you, the Tax Refund UK rules will allow you to claim your tax back. However, if you have underpaid tax, it is essential to pay it sooner than later to avoid penalties. If you received a tax refund despite underpaying tax, notify HMRC as soon as possible. Don’t spend the money that you’ll have to return. Refer to your payslip or P45 form to determine if you can claim tax back or if you have to pay HMRC. 

Do you need help with your tax return at the end of the tax year? Seek professional advice from tax experts, particularly those specialising in UK tax returns online, tax refunds and tax rebate services.

How Do I Claim the Tax I Have Overpaid via PAYE?

Before the end of the tax year, give HMRC a call to inform them that you think you paid too much tax. Be ready to provide them with your personal information, PAYE scheme reference number, and estimates of your earnings for the current tax year. If you’ve been switching jobs within a tax year, you must provide the necessary details for each source of earnings.

However, if you claim at the end of the tax year or for previous tax years, write to HMRC to make a claim. Make sure it’s labelled ‘repayment claim’, so it will be prioritized and attended to immediately. The letter must contain full personal details, employment history, and the reasons you think you’re due a repayment. It should be sent to HMRC along with copies of your forms P60 and P45. Suppose you stopped working part way through a tax year with no source of other taxable income or have any plans to go back to work within four weeks. In that case, you can still claim back tax using form P50 through Verify on GOV.uk, where you can submit the form online. If you are on strike, you won’t get a refund at the end of the tax year, but it will be given to you when you return to work or leave your job.

Apply for a PAYE Tax Refund

Are you looking to apply for a PAYE Tax Refund? www.taxback.co.uk specialises in PAYE tax refunds. You can start your PAYE Tax Refund claim online or email the team at info@taxback.co.uk for a prompt response. One of our qualified accountants will get in touch with you to help you with your Tax Refund. 

Think you may be due a tax refund? Apply here to get your tax back

Calculating a Refund or Tax Owed

You can check how much income tax you paid the previous tax year and determine if you qualify for tax returns. Anyone who overpaid tax is eligible for a rebate under UK tax return rules. Using your most recent payslip or P60 and NI number, you can use the online calculation system on Gov.UK to check for the amount of tax you paid. Better yet, consult with experts on tax refund for help with claiming tax back and/or more information about tax returns UK laws. 

You may also wish to complete a UK Self Assessment tax return online

We’ve made it easier for you to figure out your refund. Check out our  UK Tax refund calculator

How Can I Avoid Being Cheated by the PAYE Tax System?

The tax code in the United Kingdom is complicated as it is in many other places. The average citizen probably does not understand the entire code and may be losing out on a tax refund to which they are duly entitled. It is more likely that these individuals will need a tax refund service due to their unique status within the tax code, such as;

  • Self Employed
  • Employed by the government
  • Part-time employees
  • Individuals that arrived in the country halfway through the year

These are just a few examples of the categories in which individuals may fall, which cause them to have to put more effort and time into understanding the tax code. Alternatively, they can hire a tax refund service to handle it for them.

We exist to get that full refund for all of our clients regardless of their personal tax situation. 

Our expert team of qualified professionals are fully committed towards standing by our clients and helping to protect their rights. The costs we collect are for the hard work we put into determining exactly how much may be claimed back by any individual. When you consider how long it would take the average person to do this project and how many details could still be missed, these fees are extremely reasonable and well worth it.

Get in touch with us for professional assistance if you want to cut straight to the chase and get the money you are entitled to.

Exercise Prudence & Vigilance With Tax Deductions

It is important that you check your PAYE coding notice to ensure that you’re paying the correct amount of tax. Again, refer to HMRC for any clarification. Always check your payslip for any discrepancies in your pay before and after tax, your NIC, and any student loan repayment deducted from your income. You should also ensure that your employer uses the correct tax code, which should be shown on your payslip. 

How Can I Avoid Being Penalised by the PAYE Tax System?

The PAYE system typically works well as long as the individual is paid the same amount each month. However, when pay differs from one month to the next, this system can cause overpayments that can cost taxpayers.

These are just a couple of problematic issues that may pop up under the PAYE system. The HM Revenue and Customs website itself references the personal allowance amount that anyone in the UK can make before receiving any kind of taxation. Thus, if someone is in a position where they are already paying taxes on any amount that is below the personal allowance figure, they are being overtaxed.

Taxback is an excellent answer to the potential problem of being overtaxed. This service allows those who have seen their hard-earned money unfairly go to the government to get it back. Taxback fights for every single pound that the taxpayer is duly owed. One of the best parts for many is being able to avoid having to learn complicated tax codes for the purpose of reclaiming their money. If you believe the PAYE system may be causing you to lose out on some of your hard-earned money, please contact us for assistance or apply for your tax refund online.

In conclusion, it is clear to see that understanding how PAYE Tax works can help you avoid being penalised or underpaying and overpaying taxes. If you need help with your taxes, do get in touch with our friendly team at Taxback. As one of the oldest and most comprehensive tax refund companies in the UK, we offer various useful services ranging from tax refunds to tax return filing. 

Translate »