Tax Deductables For Construction Workers In The UK

Online UK tax refund forms

As a construction worker in the UK, and are paid under the PAYE (pay as you earn) scheme then you will be entitled to claim expenses for certain items and services. This is known as tax relief as your expenses are deductible against the tax you pay on your earnings.

If you are currently employed as a construction worker in the UK, or are planning on working in the construction industry whilst on a working holiday, then you’ll need to be aware of what you can claim for.


If you’ve had to purchase new equipment in order for you to be able to do your job properly, and your employer isn’t able to reimburse you for the cost, then you may be able to claim a tax  refund for any items that you’ve had to buy. Just be sure to keep proof of purchase.

Protective Workwear

As a construction worker, it is essential to protect your safety in the workplace. This may mean that you need to wear a hard hat, safety goggles, steel toe-capped boots and hi-visibility  clothing. Employers will typically provide safety equipment for workers, however if it is necessary for you to purchase your own, you will be eligible to claim expenses.


If you are required to wear a uniform as a construction work (specialist clothing or has a company logo) and you need to have these washed or dry cleaned, then you may claim expenses for this.

If you haven’t made a previous claim, you are entitled to claim for washing expenses for the past four years.


If you have to travel to a variety of different locations, other than your permanent place of work, you will be entitled for tax relief on your travel expenses, whether you are using your own  vehicle or you are utilising public transport. You will need to keep a log of the places that you visited, and the mileage incurred.

Other out-of-pocket expenses

If your employer asks you to undertake a job away from home you may need to pay for overnight accommodation, unless your employer has made specific arrangements. If you are required to pay for your own accommodation and any other out-of-pocket expenses, such as evening meals, taxi fares etc, then you will be eligible to claim these on expenses.

Apply now to get your taxback .

Translate »