Top Tips to Consider when Moving to and Working in the UK

working in the uk

Top tips to consider when moving to and working in the UK. Moving and working in the UK definitely has some perks. What you need to do when moving to and working in the UK is just a start. A change of employment is more challenging than a change of address, what with the UK tax advice adding weight to it.

Before Moving to the UK Pay a visit and get a feel of the scene first

Find out if settling in the UK is the best option for you by spending a short amount of time in the location you want to move into. Does it live up to its reputation? Is the pace of life to your liking? What about the cost of living? Is there plenty of employment options available?

Know your UK visa requirements

Working in the UK as a non-European migrant would require a relevant UK work visa. Which category you need to apply for will depend on which requirements you best meet. Most work-based visa categories are measured on the point-based system for immigration.

1. High-value migrants

Granted to individuals who passed the point-based assessment, exceptionally talented individuals that do not need a job offer to stay in the UK, entrepreneurs, and investors.

2. Skilled workers sponsorship

Applicable to those who have been offered a skilled job, and for those whose employers are willing to sponsor their stay in the UK in order to fulfil their occupation.

3. Temporary workers

Granted to workers whose validity to work in the UK is only applicable for a short period of time. These include individuals from a country participating in the Youth Mobility Scheme. Australian and New Zealand citizens can apply for a Youth Mobility Visa if they are aged between 18 and 30 is the best example. UK employers that agree to sponsor an employee for a short period of time is also eligible for a temporary work visa.

Other visa options for working in the UK include:

  • Working as domestic worker
  • Representing an overseas news agency, broadcasting organisation, or newspaper
  • Being a sole representative of an overseas firm

Check your family ties

If one of your parent, grandparent, and other immediate family member was born in the UK, you may be eligible to get a 5-year working visa. With many rights to work and citizenship associated with ancestry, it pays to check your proof and background of parentage, marital ties, and family lineage.

If you are a dependent of someone who is already a UK resident, then you may be able to get a 2-year working visa.

After setting up in the UK

National Insurance and bank account

Apply for your national insurance (NI) number the soonest time possible. You will need it to pay for your NI contributions and in speeding up other employment processes. Check out any sources of UK tax advice and you will see that the NI number is given priority. After all, HMRC will use it to process your tax return.

Find a specialist recruiter

A reputable recruitment consultancy agency can help you get ahead of your career options. They can serve as your guide in meeting your career needs within the industry you’ve chosen. They will also advise you on the most suitable work environment. The same is true with the processes and applications involved.

You may wish to consider gaining further information on PAYE Tax Refunds, as well choosing Self Assessment UK.


Money Saving Tips For UK Working Holidays

Are you considering working in the UK? Find out more tax tips and get advice on how you could save money. After all, the more money you save, the money you can spend on tours and activities.

Tax Tips for Kiwis in the UK

A UK Working Holiday Guide

UK Tax Refund Guide for Australians and New Zealanders

Translate »