Australian Working Holiday Tax Returns

cash out pension tax penalty

Have you been on a Working Holiday in Australia? If so, you’re legally obliged to file an Australian tax return at the end of the year.

  • Did you spend at least 6 months in Australia?

  • Did you earn money during your Working Holiday?

  • If so, you could be owed tax back.

Claim Australian tax back

Claim tax back from Australia with

Australian Tax Back for Backpackers & Working Holiday Makers

If you earned money whilst working in Australia, then the team at can help you claim your tax back. Our team are experienced with getting 417 visa holders, working holidaymakers and students their tax back.

How to apply for an Australian Tax Refund From The UK

To apply for Australian tax back, you must have your final payslip or PAYG in order. This will make the entire process easier on your part, and you won’t need to spend extra time and energy to track it down. You also need to file a tax return at the end of the tax year, which runs from 1st July to 30th June.

Australian Tax File Number

Before you start earning in Australia, it is also important to note that you need to provide your employer with your tax file number within the first 30 days, so you don’t end up paying emergency tax, which is the usual culprit for overpaying tax. Although this can mean a bigger tax back claim, the deduction amount may cause financial problems during your stay in Australia.

To ensure that you get the maximum legal tax refund, refer to a tax expert that can help you with your individual circumstances. If you have yet to look for your PAYG, a company that will help you look for it will prove most advantageous.

The Average Australian Tax Refund is AUD 2600.


Claim tax back from Australia

Australian Tax Facts

  • You have to be in Australia for six months to apply for your Australian tax back.

  • The Australian tax year is from 1st July to 30th June

  • You need to have given your Tax File Number to your employer within the first 30 days of employment to avoid emergency tax.

  • You’re legally required to file a tax return at the end of each tax year

  • You’ll need a PAYG (or final payslip) to apply for your Australian tax back.

  • Your own circumstances will determine your residency status – so make sure you check this when you apply for your Oz tax back.

  • Upon leaving Australia, you can apply for your superannuation refund.

​Claiming Tax Back From Australia

Have you been working in Australia full time or part-time?

Whether you were living and working as a holidaymaker or a backpacker, you may be entitled to a tax refund, especially if you overpaid tax or did not apply for your tax back for the past few or couple of years. Claim back tax from Australia now

What criteria make you eligible for a tax back?

417 and 462 Visas

Both visas allow foreigners to enjoy working holiday Australia. Except for a few differences, it basically serves the same purpose. Whichever visa you hold, you pay taxes, making you eligible for a refund, especially if you meet other requirements. READ MORE

​Can you claim super contributions?

Contributions in your super fund account will remain in Australia while you are still in the country. But you can claim it as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) when you return to your home country. The chances of you claiming it after you leave Australia depends on whether or not you:

  • Are a holder of an eligible temporary-resident visa, but not visa subclasses 405 and 410.
  • Were paid super contributions by your employer while you are still in the country.
  • Have you left the country, and your working visa has been cancelled or has expired.


Leaving the UK? File your tax refund and find out how much you’re owed. No Refund – No Fee = Nothing to lose!

If you’re migrating overseas or heading off on a working holiday or gap year, you may well be due a tax refund. Are you leaving the UK and not returning for an extended period of time? Start your online tax application, and our agents will be on hand to process your tax before or after you’ve left the UK.

Photo by Joey Csunyo on Unsplash

Translate »